Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2012

What Do People With Down's Syndrome Learn About Sex?

I am still wondering whether or not people with Down's Syndrome ever identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender.  I remember how I wrote my original research question on the class assignment (which is stated a bit differently from my original concept):

"How do teenagers with Down's Syndrome learn about LGBT identities?"

Keywords in this research question are teenagers, "Down's Syndrome", and "LGBT identities".

I wrote my search string: teenagers AND "Down's Syndrome" AND "LGBT identities" and retrieved...nothing.

I tried again.  This time I removed "teenagers" from the search string. Still no results.  I know there are books in the collection about people with Down's Syndrome, so that means I have to unpack the term "LGBT identities", thus performing multiple searches for "Down's Syndrome" AND gay, "Down's Syndrome" AND lesbian, etc etc etc...all of those searches retrieved no results.  I even tried "Down's Syndrome" AND "coming out", since that is the term most frequently used to describe someone discovering their sexual orientation and the process of embracing that orientation. No results for that search string, either.

So I had to take a step back.  I repeated the search, this time using the search string "Down's Syndrome" AND sex.  I retrieved two items from the Miller Center Library catalog--a DVD on genetic disorders, and one book called Count Us In: Growing Up with Down's Syndrome, written by two young men who have Down's Syndrome.  I was able to take a look at the Table of Contents of this book in the catalog, and noticed that there is a chapter titled "Girls and sex".  As the book is written by two young men, and they are writing about girls and sex, it is doubtful that either author is going to talk about LGBT issues.  I was able to read a chunk of the book through Google Books, enough to get a little about the educational experiences of the two authors as well as their upbringing...Google Books did not offer a preview of the "Girls and Sex" chapter, though.  So I will have to look for it. 

Of course, none of this means that there are no books that address the issue that I am trying to learn about.  We do have many books in the library about people with Down's Syndrome.  What it means is that the catalog record of each book does not always provide a table of contents or other keywords that would match one's book specifically to the search query.

The next thing I did was go to Amazon.com to do a search for "Down's Syndrome" and sex, to find out if there were any books for sale specifically on the subject.  There were two, which addressed sex education for teenagers with Down's Syndrome.  I also did a search on Amazon.com for "Down's Syndrome" and gay...and lo and behold, I found one book which comes pretty darned close:


Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender People with Developmental Disabilities and Mental Retardation: Stories of the Rainbow Support Group.

Perhaps this book will lead me to other resources or terms that I could use in my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment